Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Dog Days of Winter

It's still here. Winter. Jack Frost will not release his grip on the Northwoods. Cold temperatures, wind gusts and snow continue to grace us with their presence. It is now bordering on ridiculous.

But we can't do anything about the weather so the only thing you can do is carry on.

I have been waiting patiently (well, as patient as I can be) for the migrating birds and hibernating mammals to show their faces and slowly they are. The geese are here in full force (and noise). The otters are becoming more active as are the deer. Hooded mergansers, mallards, red-winged blackbirds and even a robin here and there are being seen/heard.

I have also been worried about the resident eagles on the lake. Every year since we have lived on the creek (going on 5) a pair of eagles have called a massive white pine tree on the edge of the creek home.  This year there is no sign of them. I was puzzled and rather worried. What happened to them? Why are they not sitting on eggs? Last night I got my answer. Despite the cold wind whipping across the water, I sat  and watched an otter on the lake
. I just sat, took a few pics, and kept him company when an eagle flew over head with sticks in is talons. Nest construction. But where? Then I saw it. The eagle family abandoned their old digs for a new one across the lake. I am glad they are still here but why abandon a perfectly good nest? I need answers. In the interim, below are a few picks from my spring project which is proving far more challenging than I expected.

Day 17: Geese on Seven Mile Creek
Day 19: Chickadee take-off
Day 21: Otter on Rice Lake


 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment